Wednesday, December 12, 2012


Why a 3-Day Cleanse?
 
            I am going to do a 3-day cleanse December 28-30 to mark the end of the year and am inviting anyone who is interested to join me. The reasons for this bear some explanation.
            Recently I turned 50 and at the insistence of my wife scheduled a colonoscopy. This involves cleansing the day before the procedure by drinking only liquids and then in the evening imbibing a diabolical potion that flushes you out faster than water through a garden hose. I had heard all kinds of horror stories about this and to be sure it was not enjoyable; but the morning of the procedure I felt incredible! You know how your teeth feel after having a complete dental cleaning? My whole body felt like that. I felt ten years younger and at least a week smarter.
            So I began to think about doing this again on my own, and the end of the year seemed like a spiritually, emotionally and physically opportune time. Here’s what I’m doing:
            I searched “3-day cleanses” on Google and decided on one by Dr. Oz because it is relatively simple and (key element) free. You can print out the ingredients and guidelines on one page, which he helpfully makes available with one click of a button. Go to www.doctoroz.com and search for “3-day detox cleanse.” You don’t have to buy anything from him that I can see. Isn’t that refreshing? He says that the 3-days of ingredients from a local grocery store cost about $48.
            Now Dr. Oz, whom I have heard of but do not know anything about, seems to have more products than General Mills and appears to have an Oprah-like following. I’m not endorsing him, his detox plan, his products, his politics, hobbies, education, hair color or any of his beliefs whatever they may be. But this just looks fairly simple and easy to follow.
            Why not a biblical fast?          It’s a good question. I’ve fasted often in the past. I’ve done 3-day water fasts, 5-day juice fasts, even a 40-day liquid (including soup and smoothies) fast. I have found them to be rigorous and (usually) worthwhile. But what I’m looking for in this instance is a kind of Sabbath, not a mountain climb. I love the idea of resting my body, mind, and spirit for the last three days of the year as a way of pausing to reflect on 2012 and anticipate 2013. In this detox the body’s organs are soothed and rested and the body is cleansed and purified. I just love that idea. I want to accompany this with some intentional resting, thinking, reflecting and praying time.
            Why December 28-30 and not December 29-31?     C’mon. Who wants to be doing a body detox cleanse on New Year’s Eve?
            What can I expect?        I don’t know, I’ve never done this before. Check Dr. Oz’s website. There’s lots of feedback from previous participants. And proceed with adult responsibility (i.e., no liability for me)
            Can I exercise during this?   I am going to exercise moderately; use your best judgment. But remember that the purpose is to REST your body.
           
            So there you have it, folks. I’d welcome anyone to join in so we can trade notes, encourage one another, and rejoice together in our gloriously cleansed selves. You don’t have to do Dr. Oz’s 3-day cleanse to join me; there’s dozens out there from which to choose. I even ordered a Kindle book ($2.99) by Carol Burnham called “Easy 3-Day Cleanse” but I liked Dr. Oz’s just a little better. Maybe I’ll try Burnham’s another time. Or you can try hers and tell me what you think. Email me at msoper@westhoustonchurch.org if you’d like to join in this short little spiritual and physical adventure.
 
           

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home