Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Getting Christmas Right

This December our theme at West Houston is “Getting Christmas Right.” We will focus on Hope, Forgiveness, Peace and Love on consecutive Sundays leading to Christmas. It is easy to let December be taken hostage by the stress of shopping, the anxiety of planning, and the frenzy of doing. “Getting Christmas Right” is a way to seek God and be blessed by his gifts in the midst of the holiday season.

In light of this I thought it worthwhile to share with you an essay called “Letter from Jesus.” I don’t know who the author is, but I know that many of the thoughts he or she places in Jesus’ mouth will help us “get Christmas right.” Enjoy. – Matt Soper

If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth, here is my wish list.

1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell Me all the time.

2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

3. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.

4. Pick someone who has hurt you in the past and forgive them.

5. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving grace to everyone you encounter; it could make the difference.

6. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a "Merry Christmas," that doesn't keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families.

7. If you want to make a difference, support a missionary, especially one who takes My Good News to those who have never heard.

8. Here's a good one. There are individuals and whole families in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them, buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Salvation Army or some other charity which believes in Me and they will make the delivery for you.

9. Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like a Christian. Let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.

Don't forget; I am God and can take care of myself. Just love me and do what I have told you to do. I'll take care of all the rest. Check out the list above and get to work; time is short. I love you, Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home